Trebinje is a city of rich cultural history. There are numerous monuments of the Roman Empire, the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empire, as well as religious buildings in the city and its surroundings even today.
One of the most significant religious buildings in the city and its surrounding is the Orthodox church of St. Transfiguration, built in 1888, located in the very centre of Trebinje. Another recent religious building, modeled after Gračanica monastery in Kosovo, is located on the Crkvina hill. Hercegovačka Gračanica, built in 2000, is an endowment of Branko and Radmila Tupanjac. Today, the remains of the famous poet from Trebinje, Jovan Dučić, are buried in the crypt of the monastery.
Tvrdoš monastery is dedicated to the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God. According to the available data, it was founded by the Emperor Konstantin in 4th century. Throughout its long history, Tvrdoš had been destroyed on several occasions, mostly under attacks of different imperialist powers, but it was reconstructed each time after destruction. Tthe remains which supposedly belong to Jelena Anžujska, a mother of king Milutin (1282-1321), are placed in the churc itself. Besides being a testimony to turbulent history of Serb people, today Tvrdoš monastery also represents a spiritual refuge to many Orthodox believers.
Duži monastery is located about 12 km southwest of Trebinje, and was founded in 1694. This monastery was the seat of metropolitanate in the period of 1701 – 1777. In 1856, an elementary school was opened in the monastery and it worked until the beginning of the Second World War. At the beginning of the II W.War, the Monastery was alienated from the Church, but returned in 1959. In 1998 the founder and reformer Milan Pešut rebuilt the monastery and its quarters.
Besides those mentioned, there are many other religious buildings in Trebinje and in its vicinity. Among the most important are: St. Peter and Paulꞌs monastery, Zavala monastery, Dobrićevo monastery, Church of St. Archangel Michael, Church of St. Basil of Tvrdoš and Ostrog, Church of St. Clement.
Besides numerous Orthodox buildings, other religious buildings such as Catholic Cathedral and the Osman-Pasha mosque are also testimonies to rich culture and history of Trebinje. The Catholic Cathedral is dedicated to Birth of Virgin Mary. Its construction started in 1880, and the first service was held in 1884. The thousandth anniversary of this religious building was celebrated in 1984 when it was pronounced a Cathedral. There is a parish house next to the Cathedral in which the vicar of Trebinje currently resides.
The Osman-Pasha Mosque is located in the Old town, not far from the Old Town walls. It was built in 1726 by order of Osman Pasha Resulbegović. Since it was built by craftsmen from Dubrovnik, the mosque has elements of the Mediterranean architecture. Today, this mosque is the most famous one in Herzegovina.
There are also numerous cultural monuments in the wider area of Trebinje which, by their unusual appearance, attract the attention of visitors.
The old town of Trebinje was built at the beginning of XVIII century on a bank of Trebišnjica River. Today’s Old town-Kastel evolved from the former trade and crafts centre. In the Old town, on the foundations of the Roman, then medieval and Turkish settlement, an Austrian military barrack was built at the end of 19th and the beginning of 20th century. Today it houses the Museum of Herzegovina. Above the entrance gate, there was a drawbridge over the ditch. The channel existed until 1910 when it was partially filled and finally disappeared in 1932. Today the Old town of Trebinje represents one of the city’s attractions. Its walls are still well preserved, although there are some plans for reconstruction walls and the water channel.
One of the oldest is the Arslanagić (Perović) bridge was built during the Turkish occupation. It is believed that was built in 1574 by the Great Vizier Mehmed Pasha Sokolović and back then it was of extreme significance because it was the only link between the Adriatic coast and Constantinople. The bridge is specific for not being at its original location. Its location was 5km upstream of Trebinjica, near the medieval town Mičevac and has been demounted and re-located in 1970 to Gradina settlement due to construction of hydro-power plant on Trebišnjica river, upon request of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments. The Roman bridge Vučija located on Sušica River near Lastva’s lake stands out for the older ones. In Roman times, a roadway used to lead from here to Dubrovnik- Montenegro. It is considered that the bridge dates back to XII century, as well as Lastvaˈs towers.
Branković tower represents one of the most monumental , but not well known monuments of our past. It is located on the outskirts of town, in the settlement Gornje Police. Some people think the tower dates from the Byzantine period and some from the Turkish period. Considering the fact that Mladen, the founder of the Branković family, ruled Trebinje in 1323 and afterwards his son Branko (father of Vuk Branković), the tower was believed to be their residence.
Beside these cultural and historical monuments, there is also the Old Town Mičevac, located 2km upstream from Trebinje, on the right bank of Trebišnjica River. It is not known when the town was built, but it was first mentioned in the ’40s, in the 11th century. According to oral tradition, the town was built by Duke Mičeta, after whom it was named. The Old Town Klobuk is located on the road Trebinje-Nikšić. It belonged to district Vrm, and the first written record about Klobuk dates back to 1042. The town was significant for communication, as it connected Konavle with the inland. Austro-Hungarian military Tower Strač, the second by size in the Balkans, is located on the very top of the hill over Trebinje. It was built during Austro-Hungarian rule, around 1890. The tower had 365 rooms on 8 floors. All rooms were connected and the walls were more than one meter thick. After the Second World War, Strač suffered significant damage, so today many rooms are inaccessible.