• City of Trebinje has established objectives to be achieved in terms of energy efficiency and that is sustainable energy action plan (SEAP)- December 2011.
• City of Trebinje submit annual report on implementation of the energy efficiency action plan to the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Mining as well as to Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund every year.
• City of Trebinje is a signatory to the Covenant of Mayors where the signatories undertake to the reduction of CO2 emissions by at least 20 % through SEAP , each on its own territory, which will result in an increase of energy efficiency by 20 % and 20 % share of renewable energy in combination with other energies.
• City of Trebinje has established energy management.
• Planning energy demand and costs is done on the basis of the energy consumption for the previous year.
• Energy costs of the local community are financed from the budget of the City of Trebinje.
• Analysis of consumption and proposing measures for improvement are conducted constantly.
• Certain measures to increase energy efficiency and energy saving are implemented.
• The results of implemented measures are e.g. reduction of electricity consumption by 60 % in lines of public lighting where led modules are set.
• Energy consumption is monitored by energy management system (EMS) that we received as a donation from UNDP.
PROJECTS IMPLEMENTED IN THE AREA OF TREBINJE CITY AIMING AT ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION AND CO2 REDUCTION:
• Replacement of inefficient mercury light bulbs of the public lighting with efficient LED light bulbs. The project was implemented in 2013. The value of the project was BAМ 123.332,00, out of which USAID financed са BAM 43.332,00, UNDP са BAМ 40.000,00 and the City of Trebinje са BAМ 40.000,00. The expected result was reduction of electricity consumption by at least 50%.
• Replacement of inefficient mercury light bulbs with efficient LED light bulbs. The project was implemented in 2015. The value of the project was BAМ 31.293,28, out of which GIZ ORF financed са BAM 15.646,64, and the rest was financed by the City of Trebinje, cа BAМ 15.646,64. The expected result was reduction of electricity consumption by at least 50%.
• Project: Increase of the energy efficiency in buildings. The measures to increase the energy efficiency were implemented within this project in the Public Institution for children care and education – Kindergarten “Naša radost” in Trebinje. The very building was built in 2012 and it only used electricity for heating. The existing heating units were replaced with a pellet boiler and corresponding heating units. The value of the project was BAМ 33.000,00, out of which UNDP financed BAM 16.500,00, while the other half, the amount of BAM 16.500,00 was financed by the City of Trebinje. The Project was implemented in 2015.
• Project: Increase of the energy efficiency in buildings. The project covered the reconstruction of outside openings in the high schools’ rooms (High School Centre, Grammar School “Jovan Dučić”, Technical School). The project value was 47.384,77 BAM, and it was financed by the Embassy of Bulgaria in B&H.
The Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy presented as the “world’s biggest urban climate and energy initiative” by Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete brings together thousands of local and regional authorities voluntarily committed to implementing EU climate and energy objectives on their territory. A vast majority of the European population lives and works in cities, consuming an estimated 80% of the energy used in the EU. Local administrations, as the closest government levels to citizens are ideally placed to address climate issues. More and more cities are thus deciding to take up the challenge, as shown by the growing number of Covenant of Mayors signatories.
Signatories represent cities that vary in size from small villages to major metropolitan areas such as London or Paris. Within a year following their signature, Covenant signatories commit to implement Sustainable Energy Action Plans on their territory, with the aim of cutting CO2 emissions by at least 20% by 2020.Trebinje is one the signatories of the Covenant.
The list of cities that have signed up to the Covenant may be found in PDF.
More information about Covenant of Mayors is available at: