Luka Petrović, Mayor of Trebinje city, was born on 18th October 1973 in Trebinje, where he completed his primary and secondary education. While yet under the age of nineteen, he joins the Army of the Republic of Srpska on 1stof July 1992 and upon receiving the permission from the Ministry of Defense by the end of 1993, he enrolls at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Belgrade, where he completes primary and secondary academic studies.
Upon the graduation, he returns to his hometown and got a job as a assistant at the Faculty of Production and Management, where he has worked for seven years lecturing the courses related to mechanical engineering. He distinguished himself as an extraordinary educator and gained a good name in work with students.
As a young and perspective engineer, he started working at the Hydropower Plant Trebisnjica where he performed the function of the Head of the Investment Sector.
After the 2012 Local Elections he was elected the representative in the City Assembly of Trebinje, with the total of 1607 votes, which is more than any other representative had won. With his knowledge and dedicated approach he justified the trust of his voters.
From 2014 he is the president of the Municipal board of SNSD Party in Trebinje. The same year he was elected the national representative with the total of 9.108 votes, which is more than any other candidate running for the Parliament in the election unit 9 had won.
In 2015 he was appointed a Secretary General of SNSD Party.
At the 2016 Local Elections he was elected the Mayor of Trebinje,with 10.987 votes.
He is the winner of the charter „ Captain Miša Atanasijević“, for promotion Economic and Social ambiance of RS, which was assigned by University Novi Sad, Chamber of Commerce Vojvodina and Agency „Media Invent“ from Novi Sad, in 2017.
Along with the specified activities, he volunteers in different institutions, organizations and sports clubs and supports their work through his experience and dedicated engagement.
He enjoys a good reputation for his efforts and work in all spheres of public life, both in his hometown and wider.
He is married; the father of four children.
Mayor is authorized:
- To propose the City Statute
- To propose decisions and other general acts to the Assembly
- To draft and submit an annual budget, annual balance sheet, economic plan, development plan, investment program, spatial and urban plan and other planning and regulatory documents related to land management, including the use of public land
- To inform the Assembly on all matters within the authorization of the City, its rights and obligations
- To implement local policy in accordance with the decisions of the Assembly, make local budget and ensure the implementation of decisions and other acts of the Assembly
- To enforce the law and other regulations of the Republic whose execution is entrusted to the City
- To make decision on the establishment of municipal administrative service
- To establish the Regulations on organization and jobs systematization
- To appoint and dismiss the city officers, assign them an appropriate job position in the City Administrative Service, assign and decide on termination on employment of technical and assistant workers, as well as other employment rights These decisions are made by the Mayor of the City in accordance with Law and Collective agreement
- To adopt plan of the City’s Civil defence and ensure its implementation, realize cooperation with other municipalities, cities, international and other organizations in accordance with decisions and conclusions of the City Assembly and its relevant working bodies
- To approve statutes and other general acts of companies and institutions established by the City
- To submit periodical reports on his work and work of the City Administrative Service to the City Assembly
- To take initiative to suspend enforcement of a regulation of the Assembly until the decision of the competent court, general or individual act ,if considered to be contrary to the Constitution and law
- To conclude contracts on behalf of the City, in accordance with the Assembly’s acts
- To resolve in the second instance, on the appeal against the first instance decisions of the City Administrative Service, unless the republican bodies are in charge
- Responsible for legality of all acts proposed by the City Assembly
- To make decisions on funds availability , in the manner established by the Statute and Budget
- May establish permanent and temporary committees, councils and coordination bodies in various fields as advisory bodies
- To perform other activities established by law, as well as activities entrusted by the City Assembly in accordance with law